Hemophagocytic Syndrome and Acute Liver Failure Associated with Ethylene Glycol Ingestion: A Case Report
Oksuz Kanbur, Nuray
xmlui.mirage2.itemSummaryView.MetaDataShow full item record
The authors describe a case of accidental ethylene glycol poisoning in an 18-month-old boy who developed hemophagocytic syndrome (HPS). Ethylene glycol is a common substance in various antifreeze preparations. Acute ethylene glycol intoxication is a medical emergency that, if not diagnosed correctly and treated aggressively, will lead to serious neurological, cardiopulmonary, and renal dysfunction, and may result in death. The taking of a detailed history, physical examination, and laboratory testing are essential for diagnosis. To the best of the authors' knowledge this is the first case in the literature of a subject who developed HPS after ethylene glycol intoxication.